Your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents of Canada. You can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if you’re at least 18 years old and a:

    • Canadian citizen or

    • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or  

    • permanent resident of Canada


Persons who may be sponsored

    • spouse, common-law or conjugal partner

    • dependent child (including children adopted overseas)

    • father or mother

    • grandfather or grandmother

    • a sponsor’s orphaned sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild who is under 18

    • child under age 18 to be adopted in Canada

    • one relative, regardless of age or relationship, subject to specific conditions

A Canadian citizen residing abroad may sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner provided that the sponsor and applicant will be residing together in Canada when the applicant becomes a permanent resident.


Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class

Members of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class must meet all of the following:

    • be the spouse or common-law partner of sponsor, and live in Canada with sponsor

    • have valid temporary resident status in Canada (this regulatory requirement may be waived under the spousal public policy)

    • be the subject of a sponsorship application